The federal government asked for submissions regarding the proposed legalization and regulation of cannabis. FAR’s Submission emphasizes:
- the need to ramp up capacity to treat those with SUD, including physician education regarding SUD;
- the critical need for dedicated funding for treatment (meaning a portion of government profits must be used for treatment);
- the need for mandatory roadside testing for recent use of cannabis and the determination of a THC level beyond which a person will be deemed to be impaired (“per se” level);
- a minimum legal purchase age of 21 years; and
- a government run monopoly distribution model which is significantly different from the LCBO.
FAR appeared before the Task Force Youth Roundtable in September, 2016 to present our viewpoint.