NATIONAL ADDICTIONS AWARENESS WEEK 2020
ADDICTION CAN AFFECT ANY FAMILY
Families for Addiction Recovery (FAR) is joining organizations across Canada to promote National Addictions Awareness Week – an annual event that recognizes issues related to substance use disorders. Let’s work together to promote prevention, support recovery and end the stigma associated with addiction and recovery.
False beliefs about addiction cause significant misunderstanding and fear which often leads to prejudice against people affected by addiction and their families.
- is a disease that deserves treatment not judgment
- is unintentional – no one chooses to have an addiction
- is far-reaching, affecting the whole family
Stigma is a significant barrier to recovery. Providing support and advocating for people with substance use disorders can go a long way to removing stigma.
- results in long wait lists due to the underfunding of treatment
- discourages people from seeking treatment
- isolates and marginalizes people
- creates guilt and shame
EDUCATE FOR CHANGE
- changes attitudes
- creates community
- motivates evidence-based public policy
- supports recovery
HOW YOU CAN HELP
Support . Educate. Advocate
FAR Canada is changing how people think and talk about addiction. Add your voice to the conversation. Share this page with your own social network and join us to stay up-to-date with our efforts, impact and events.