fbpx

Community

Community provides essential support and is vital to recovery. Contact us to share your experience, story of recovery, resources or memorial.
Home 9 Community ( Page 2 )

A Funeral March for Change

By: Angie Hamilton, Executive Director, Families for Addiction Recovery Angie Hamilton (left) and Irene Reilly-Paterson (right) It’s April 16 - the National Day of Action on the Overdose Crisis 2019. On arriving at Queen’s Park, I’m offered a...

Doug’s Story

Hi, my name is Doug, and I am a person in recovery. This is my story. When I was 19, I got engaged, and shortly after she became pregnant. She broke off the engagement before the child was born and this absolutely crushed me. Over the next couple of months, out of...

A Failure of Caring; My Son’s Death

Addiction is a chronic relapsing brain disease that kills thousands of people yearly. Our son, Ian Maude, died of this disease at 32. Ian died because despite the loss of life and huge societal costs of this disease, it is not taught in our medical schools. He died...

Father’s Day

There are a few dates that are engrained in my mind - friends and family members birthdays, my sober date, the day I got engaged, and Father’s Day 2015. It’s a bit ironic since I don’t remember much from that year, or the seven years prior. I grew up...

The Dreamer

Written By: Rich Clune When I was a young boy, I was a dreamer. I wanted to be an NHL hockey player, a doctor, a lawyer, an actor, a father, and finally - live in a castle. My imagination ran wild, and my parents — in particular my mother, Anne Marie...

Our Journey with Myles

Myles was an intelligent, talented and caring young person. He loved learning and was an honor roll student. He was an active member in his school’s jazz band, concert band and choir, as well as being involved in many other extra-curricular activities. He loved...

Our Journey With Matthew

At the age of 12, our son Matthew was diagnosed with depression. He was suffering from suicidal thoughts and was admitted on more than one occasion to the adolescent psychiatric ward. Matthew was prescribed different medications for his depression. In addition to...

We Can Help

Families for Addiction Recovery supports parents/caregivers of children struggling with addiction (regardless of age)